AWARD DEADLINES AND GUIDELINE
Please ensure that you have read the Terms & Conditions very carefully as they will be enforced. Eligibility will be double-checked. For all queries, including those relating to eligibility, please contact the organizing team coordinator, Zelalem Mehretu at +251919397977 or Zelalemm@hoheawards.com.
- There will be a panel of judges in the different categories.
- The organizers will announce lists of ten finalist books in each category in May 2018, for the proposed public vote to rate as per their literary satisfaction.
- The organizers will announce lists of five finalist books in each category early June 2018, for the proposed public vote to rate as per their literary satisfaction.
- One winner in each category will be announced at the HOHE Literature Awards Ceremony held on July 16 2018 at the National Theatre, in Addis Ababa.
February 16 2018 Book submission entry opened
March 23 2018 Book entry closed
March 29 2018 Long list of books will be announced
March 29 – May 8, 2018 Judging panel will review books
May 16 2018 Announce the shortlisted 10 books
May 16 – June 7, 2018 Public voting starts
June 12, 2018 Finalist top 5 books announced
June 12 – July 7, 2018 Public voting for the finalist books
July 16 2018 HOHE Award Ceremony
Books may be entered for only one award
I Fiction: Popular fiction, literary fiction, crime and thrillers may all be submitted in this category.
II Poetry: This Award is intended for a collection of new work by a single author; collections that include some previously published work will not be excluded, but at least three-quarters of a collection should comprise new poems.
III Children Books: This should be a book of a primarily literary rather than pictorial nature written for children between the ages of 5 and 12. A collection of poetry or a biography is acceptable, provided it is written for children in this age group.
IV Essay: Popular fiction, literary fiction, graphic novels, crime and thrillers may all be submitted in this category.
V Emerging Writers Category in Poetry: This Award is intended for a collection of new work by a single author posted on Facebook and it must have not been previously published. Published works will be excluded.
VI Emerging Writers in Essay: This Award is intended for a collection of new work by a single author posted on Facebook and it must have not been previously published. Published works will be excluded.
The selection will be made from books first published in Amharic language and first published in Ethiopia between 11 September 2016 and 10 September 2017. Books previously published elsewhere first will not be eligible basically due to impossibility to meaningfully track reader’s satisfaction unless the published books are under normal supply among the domestic literary family who will be across the board of the (20%) judging process. As well as the organizers contend that we dwell only to encourage author’s recurrent engagement on to publish in an industrious manner. The following are eligible:
- Books for consideration must have been written by an Ethiopian authors
- HOHE Award will accept books written in Amharic.
- Books by authors who are living at the commencement of the eligibility year.
- Translated fiction books originally written in other languages will be accepted.
- The selection will be made from books first published in Amharic language and first published in Ethiopia between 11 September 2016 and 10 September 2017. Books previously published elsewhere first will not be eligible.
- Books will not be eligible in a category where the author is a member of the category-judging panel. Books will be eligible where the author is a member of a separate judging panel.
- Unpublished poetry and short stories posts on Facebook will be eligible.
- Anthologies containing work written by multiple authors are not eligible.
- Reprints of books published in previous years are not eligible. Exceptions may be made for otherwise eligible books published outside Ethiopia in the previous award year at the discretion of the organizing committee.
- Books solely published online are not eligible. Self-published books are eligible where the author is the publisher or where a company has been specifically set up to publish that book.
In the event of a dispute as to eligibility, the organizing committee will decide whether a book is eligible, and its decision will be binding.
- Three copies of each book, accompanied by a completed entry form, must be sent by 9 March 2018 to HOHE Awards.
- We accept book submission at the Goethe Institut and Book Lights Book Shops around Arat Kilo and Bole in front of Brass Hospital.
- Entries must be in book form. Books published between 11 September 2016 and 10 September 2017. Books submitted before or after the above stated dates will NOT be eligible.
- There is no registration fee for each title submitted.
- The publisher, writer, libraries, or individuals can nominate the books.
- Nomination for unpublished Facebook posts can be made by anyone.
- The submission of an author’s work by the publisher will be taken as agreement by the author that he/she is willing for the submitted work to be considered.
- Judges may consider any book not submitted, provided it conforms to the qualifications cited in these rules, and subject to the publisher’s agreement (which will be taken to include that of the author/s) to submit copies on request.
Shortlist, Finalists and winners
- It is a condition of entry that the publishers and authors of all shortlisted and winning books must cooperate with the HOHE Awards Management in publicity and promotion surrounding the HOHE Awards. The winner of the HOHE Award in all the different categories will also be required to cooperate with the media immediately after the announcement and subsequently.
- The publishers of all shortlisted and winning books must use their best endeavours to ensure that any artwork provided by the HOHE Awards to promote the titles’ success and therefore to help promote sales are used for that purpose and used on the appropriate books in all formats including electronic.
- The publishers of all winning books must ensure that any reprints of the Award-winning titles, together with any paperback and electronic editions of the books, carry approved HOHE Awards crediting on the cover.
- The publishers of all shortlisted books must ensure that any reprints or electronic versions of the shortlisted titles carry approved HOHE Awards crediting on the cover.
- All HOHE Award finalist nominees must use every best endeavor to attend the HOHE Awards presentation ceremony in Addis Ababa. If there is any problem over the author’s unavailability, the Awards Management must be informed immediately.
- The decisions of the judges are final. Neither discussion nor correspondence concerning any decision can be entered into.
- The Awards Management reserves the right to either include or refuse any entry for any reason considered justifiable, and reserves the right to vary the Rules and Conditions of Entry and alter the published programme, as may be deemed necessary. The decision of the Awards management on these issues shall be final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.